How to Protect Yourself When Traveling
Safety On Public Transportation
- While waiting for a bus or streetcar, stand near others who are also waiting.
- If the immediate area is deserted or in darkness, stand near an occupied building or in a lighted area until transportation arrives.
- Once on a bus or streetcar, be aware of those around you. If someone looks or acts suspicious, notify the driver.... Read More
Identify Theft Prevention
- Protect your Social Security Number.
- Shred documents.
- Do not provide personal information on the phone, internet or by mail to an unknown party or when you have not initiated the contact.
- Ignore unsolicited e-mails.
- Secure personal information at home.
- Monitor consumer credit reports regularly. Review earnings posted on the Social Security Statement (Form SSA 7005). Read more
Ten Tips For Avoiding Crime
1. Be Alert
- Keep your head up – walk with a purpose
- Be Aware of your surroundings
- Do not be distracted by a mobile phone
- Remember – safety in numbers... Read More
Important Facts to Know About Home Burglary
- Burglars tend to avoid homes with Security Systems.
- Most burglaries take place between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- The majority of break-in are committed by burglars who live nearby... Read More
Protecting Your Home From Burglary
Burglars will tend to strike where they think the deterrent is low and their return is high. Below are some tips that will serve as good deterrents, giving your home a "secure look". Keep shrubs and bushes trimmed to minimize hiding places that could provide a point of entry... Read More